Friday, January 21, 2011

Another snow day

Well, it's snowing AGAIN here in Rhode Island and I have another snow day. I have to say that the last time I remember snow like this I was young. So far this winter, we have doubled our snowfall from last year. Basically, all schools in the state are closed. It is a little crazy. All of my colleagues are complaining on Facebook about having to make up the day at the end of the year. I want to really respond with a rude comment. COME ON PEOPLE, this is what gives teachers a bad name. When school is cancelled, it is all about safety, mainly the safety of the children. In my district, the majority of the students walk to school. There is no where for them to walk right now but in the street. My school has an annex, so I have to walk about two blocks between the buildings. As of yesterday, the sidewalks were not cleared from the last snowstorm. I had to walk in the street, sometimes walking in the middle of the street! It is quite the sight, me walking the streets of south Providence. (I know some of you who know me are actually chuckling right now.) So who cares if we have to go to school a few more days in June. I would much rather go into school when it is ninety degrees than travel with my heart in my throat during a snow storm. Let's face it, the students who would show up during a snow storm, will be the students who are going to show up for those last days in June. There would be nothing covered today and there will be nothing covered at the end of the year.

So I am going to cuddle up on the couch, watch some dvr'd shows and do some writing. If I was really prepared, I would have picked up some wine last night but I can always do that later if I feel like it. The snow will be out of here this afternoon.  Enjoy your day!

Peace Out,
MRD

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of snow. Couch cuddling sounds so divine. In fact, I have a couple episodes of PRETTY LITTLE LIARS I need to catch up on. Oh well. Maybe it'll snow a little more here next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sick of this snow! I have a few shows to catch up on, but I want to get out and do something. I'm tired of being stuck in the house! I know I'm whining. lol

    Enjoy your couch day!

    ReplyDelete