Wednesday, April 13, 2011

First person

As a reader, do you have a "pet peeve"? I have a problem reading books told in the first person. When I read a book, I immerse myself in it and "become" the character. In first person, I can't do it. I feel like I'm in a conversation with the character. Unable to truly connect, I start to lose interest fast. There isn't enough time in the day, so when I do decide to sit down to read, if the book doesn't grab me within the first few pages I usually put it aside. But what if you just shelled out close to $30 for a new hard cover book (If I had an e-reader, it would have only cost me $13.)? I'm hesitant to put this book down forever strictly because of the cost. The husband tells me to give it time. The one thing that I don't have enough of is time. 

How do you feel about the "I" voice? Do you like it? Am I the only freak out there?

Peace Out,
MRD

4 comments:

  1. I read a lot of chick-lit type stories and they're mostly written in first person, so I've grown used to it. It's not for everyone.
    I enjoy writing in first person, but I suck at it! LOL So I stick with third.
    I'd struggle with finishing the book too if it weren't my thing. That's a hefty price tag for a book. I must ask...was it Discovery of Witches? I've been eyeing the book and wondering if I'd truly like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is. Don't buy it yourself. I'll let you borrow it when I'm finished. Nothing against the book, I am not past the first few pages, so it might be really good. The first person just freaks me out for some reason. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Depends on the type of book I'm reading. If it's a romance, I like third person with both h/h POVs. I loved the Twilight books that were written in 1st POV. Maybe I'm okay with YA books in 1st, because my YA stories are that way:-).

    What I DON'T like is for one scene to be in first person from one character's POV, then another scene to be in third POV. Drives me bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, I hope that you weren't offended! It did work for the Twilight books. I really like the 1st and the 4th in that series very much. I am sure that 1st person in your books is SPECTACULAR! I think that I just have to get used to it.

    ReplyDelete