Monday, August 1, 2011

Do you?

Do you read reviews? Do you take them to heart? Over the weekend, I had the pleasure of reading the book Fury by Laurann Dohner. It is book one in her New Species line.

She is an absolutely great writer. If you haven't read any of her books, I highly recommend them. I started reading her Zorn series being a sci-fi nut. Earth woman mating with huge alpha aliens. Sigh... Of course considering my character Dragon in Fated Mates is also a huge alpha alien, this brings me to my point. A lot of reviews are comparing her work to another well know work with the same publisher. I don't particularly think that's fair. Do both series have to do with genetically altered humans with animal DNA? Sure but that is where the comparisons should stop. Come on people, things like this have been in the news for years. If you want to get technical, let's blame the author of the Island of Dr. Moreau. Or to go even further, let's degrade Anne Rice and Stephanie Meyer because their work has some basis similar to Bram Stoker's Dracula. One has nothing to do with the other. It's time to give authors a break. If there are flaws in the book that make it horrible to read, then state those things in your reviews. But if it's a "similar" theme to another series, you can find that out by reading the blurb and excerpt.

So as a reader and as a writer, my advice is be kind to authors with your reviews. Authors are people too. We spend a long time creating, yes creating, our stories. They are personal to us. We love each and every one of these stories.

Peace out,
MRD

2 comments:

  1. If I'm not mistaken there's only 20 original plots so all writer's are going to have something similar to another. It's how you work the plots.
    Those who don't write don't understand this so it's really a losing battle trying to convince them. :)

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I read a story and love it, I like to know what it's similar to so I can check out that story as well.

    I hope they weren't calling LD a copy cat because, yeah, like Amber said you pretty much have to follow after someone else's basic idea in this day and age 'cause it's all been done before!

    ReplyDelete