Monday, April 16, 2012

Genealogy of a character

This weekend I went to my local Romance Writers chapter meeting and attended a really excellent workshop. The topic was character genealogy and I found it fascinating. Normally I'm a total pantser. I don't like to plot anything out, I write where the story takes me but we went through an activity during the workshop that really solidified my main character's family in my mind. I think it's going to bring a depth to my writing that I haven't had before.

This is especially going to be helpful considering I'm writing a 3 book paranormal series right now about three families of witches in Massachusetts. These families are big and can trace their lineage back to the Salem witch trials. So mapping out, the families seemed totally natural to me. The idea flowed and I didn't get my normal block when I try to map something out. 

Off to writing now!

MRD

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy! I too found the workshop so helpful. I know my heroine for my next book so much better. I know her motivations, fears and goals.
    It was great seeing everyone on Saturday. The meeting was just what I needed to get recharged.
    Now I'm off to write. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that sounds really cool! I love a little extra layer in my stories. Can't wait to hear more about it in the future.

    ReplyDelete